Maguyon’s hat trick helps Rebels rout Generals 8 – 1

Aaron Maguyon’s second hat trick on the second along with Konur Peterson’s two goals helped the visiting Philadelphia Rebels rout the Northeast Generals last night 8 – 1.

With 9:05 into the opening period, Northeast’s Louis Boudon was called for interference to give Philadelphia the extra attacker. Diarmad DiMurro had the puck at the top of the point and took a shot on net that was deflected up high by a Generals defender. The puck floated to the ice in front of Northeast goalie Marko Sturma as Maguyon and Brandon Stanley were out front in the slot. Maguyon would tap the puck back to Andrew Bellant who skated across the goalmouth and backhanded the puck past Sturma to give the Rebels a 1 – 0 lead with 9:44 left in the first period. It was Bellant’s eleventh goal on the season.

Two minutes later Peterson would score his first goal of the game.

Peter Zhong would bring the puck out of the Rebels zone and passed it up to Peterson along the far side boards as he entered the Generals zone. Peterson would chip the puck off the boards where it was picked up by Alex Frye who immediately sent a return pass to Peterson who was down low and he took a wrister that beat Sturma to give the Rebels a 2 – 0 lead.

The Rebels would go up 3 – 0 on Maguyon’s first goal of the night with 3:20 remaining in the first period. Ryan Patrick had the puck on the goal line to the left of Sturma. The team captain passed the puck to Jensen Zerban in the corner. Zerban found Maguyon open in the slot and Maguyon one-timed it past Sturman for his fourteenth goal on the season.

Northeast’s Joseph Nagle was called for tripping at the 17:35 mark of the first to give the Rebels the extra attacker. The man advantage lasted all of five seconds. Exactly one minute after Maguyon scored his first goal of the game he would go onto score his second.

Zerban would win the draw deep inside the Generals zone. The puck would go back to DiMurro at the point. DiMurro passed the puck back up to Zerban at the top of the faceoff circle. Zerban sent the puck down low to Maguyon who was to the right of Sturma. Maguyon skated up from the goal line, made a semi-circle and took a wrist shot that beat Sturma to give the Rebels a 4 – 0 lead with 2:20 left in the first period.

Stanley was called for roughing after the whistle just 1:47 into the second period to give the Generals the man advantage. After the puck came out of the offensive zone, Northeast’s Colin Bilek would reenter it along the far side boards. Bilek passed it across to Matthew Wiesner who started to skate down low. Wiesner turned and passed the puck back to Boudon at the top of the faceoff circle. Boudon took a shot that was saved by Rebels goalie Ryan Keane but the rebound came out to Wiesner who tucked it home to make it a 4 – 1 game at 3:44 into the period.

Maguyon’s third straight goal of the game ensured that there would be no repeat of Thursday morning’s game.

Sixteen seconds after Wiesner scored his seventeenth goal on the season, teammate Matthew Rutigliano was called for tripping to give the Rebels the extra attacker. This powerplay goal took the Rebels a second longer to score than the last one.

DiMurro started to walk the blueline with the puck and he passed it back to Zerban at the far side point. Zerban passed it down low to Maguyon. The Egg Harbor Twp. native was looking for Stanley at the top of the crease but the puck was redirected back to DiMurro in the slot. DiMurro immediately passed it back to Maguyon who redirected the puck off his backhand past new Generals’ goalie David Fessenden to make it a 5 – 1 game.

Peterson would make it 6 – 1 with his second goal of the game at the 6:25 mark of the second period.

Defenseman Seth Bergeron would intercept the puck at the top of the blueline in the Generals zone. He took a slapshot that was saved by Fessenden but the rebound came out to Frye. With a man on him, Frye took a shot that was saved by Fessenden but the puck came right out to Peterson at the top of the crease and he poked it into the open net for his seventh goal on the season.

Patrick would score his fourteenth goal on the season with a nice feed from Maguyon to make it a 7 – 1 game with 7:13 into the third.

Auggie Moore would close out the scoring with a backhanded goal to make it 8 – 1.

The Rebels were three for five on the powerplay during the night. Keane turned aside 35 of 36 shots while Sturma and Fessenden combined to stop 36 of 44 shots. Click here for the box score.

The two teams will complete their third game of this series tonight at 7:00pm.