Generals down Rebels 3 – 2 to win weekend series

The Northeast Generals defeated the visiting Philadelphia Rebels last night 3 – 2 giving the Generals wins in two of the three games played between these teams this weekend. It was the first time ever that the Generals had taken a series from the Rebels.

After scoring eight goals in Friday night’s game, the Rebels were hard pressed to score in last night’s game.

With thirteen seconds left in the first period, Eric Olson was called for cross-checking to give the Generals the man advantage. After the ensuing draw, Matthew Wiesner would bring the puck up along the far side boards and into the Rebels zone and pass it up to Colin Bilek. Bilek would send the puck behind the Rebels net where it picked up by Mike Egen who was the left of Rebels goalie Ryan Keane. Egen would send a pass out to Wiesner in the slot and he took a shot that went top-shelf to be Keane with three seconds remaining in the opening period.

Although the Generals entered the second period with the lead, they took the first penalty of the middle stanza just 1:37 into it when Michael Higgins was called for cross-checking to put the Rebels on the powerplay.

Jensen Zerban would bring the puck into the Generals zone and passed it up to Aaron Maguyon. The Egg Harbor Twp., NJ native stopped along the far side boards to set up the play and passed the puck back to Diarmad DiMurro at the point. After return passes with Andrew Bellant, DiMurro took a shot at the top of the slot that was save by Northeast goalie David Fessenden but the rebound came out to Zerban who tucked it in the net to tie the game at one with 2:28 into the second.

After Keane covered the puck to force a faceoff, there was some pushing and shoving after the whistle and Bellant was called for roughing to put the Generals back on the powerplay. Matt Demelis would look to set up the play along the far side boards in the Rebels zone. He passed the puck to Justin Jallen at the point who sent a return pass to Demelis. Demelis would send a cross-ice pass over to Colin McCable who immediately sent it back to Jallen at the point. Jallen took a clapper that went off the post and behind Keane to give the Generals a 2 – 1 lead 8:04 into the second period.

With time winding down in the period, Jimmy Glynn would win the draw deep inside the Generals zone. The puck went back to Seth Bergeron at the far side point. The Las Vegas, NV native took a shot that was saved by Fessenden but he couldn’t control the rebound and Glynn put it in for his third goal on the season to tie the game at two with 1:38 left in the second period.

The Generals would take the lead for good at the 8:35 mark of the third period off of Alex Cohen’s sixth goal on the season. Demelis would bring the puck up along the far side boards into the Rebels zone on a three-on-one. He passed the puck to Jallen in the high slot who took a low shot that Keane made a left pad save but the puck came right out to Cohen who put it into the empty net to make it a 3 – 2 game.

Keane, who played extremely well in the game, stopped 29 of 32 shots while Fessenden turned aside 37 of 39 shots. Click here for the box score.

The Rebels will travel to New Jersey on Wednesday for an 11:00am start time against the Titans.